This development consisted of refurbishment works to the existing Hastings Library, 13 Claremont Road. The building dates from 1878 and has served as a library since 1881. The building now accommodates new library services, including associated storage and staff facilities, Learn Direct facilities and parking office facilities.
The refurbishment of the building included alterations to the existing layout, with the removal of some load bearing walls and the introduction of steel supporting structure. A glazed roof light was reinstated to the central lightwell off a new steel frame.
Significant works were carried out on the front elevation where historic superficial repairs had covered substantial issues in the underlying stonework. The whole elevation had to be temporarily propped whilst repairs and replacement of stonework were undertaken, requiring careful sequencing and sympathetic methods to re-create the original feature façade.
Works were also carried out to repair a crack which had developed in the cantilevering internal feature stone staircase, using a combination of new steelwork and carbon fibre reinforcement.